Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s tenure as Manchester United’s head coach has been a roller coaster ride. Ole’s United had been inconsistent till January, performing strongly against the top teams in the premier league and dropped points against the teams in the bottom half of the table.
It was in January, the transfer market had begun and United had dropped 9 points out of 12. The midfield had become dysfunctional due to the injuries to Pogba and McTominay and United signed Bruno Fernandes.
United had been eager to sign Bruno but it has been worth the wait since then as they have remained unbeaten in 17 games in all competitions. Since the marquee signing the squad’s mood has uplifted and has scored 23 goals in 10 games averaging 11 shots/ game. Since the restart, United’s squad was back to full fitness and has been in flying form. Manchester United have been playing in an offensive formation, and Bruno Fernandes was given a free role in the midfield. Bruno’s impact on United’s midfield has been a positive one as the pivot of Matic and Pogba has been allowing Fernandes to move forward and complement the front force.
With Nemanja Matic back to his favoured position as a defensive screen in front of the back four, Matic has signed a three-year contract extension. Matic has allowed players like Fernandes, Rashford, and Greenwood to move up the field more frequently than McTominay has been able to impart. Bruno’s signing meant that Pogba could play in his natural position as a deep-lying playmaker which he has been playing for France and Juventus.
With the looks of the team, United needs to sign a pacey defender that complements Lindelöf or Harry Maguire as Jones, Smalling, and Rojo look likely to leave United. With David De Gea improving it looks likely that Henderson will be again loaned out for the next season.
Manchester United do need reinforcements in the midfield depending on transfer of Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereira as they could leave United in the transfer window. Jack Grealish’s transfer looks complex as Aston Villa avoided relegation on the last day of the premier league. Grealish would be the kind of player who would add versatility into the United’s team and would increase the competition in the squad.
United’s front force has outshone since the restart and there has been a lot of fluidity between Rashford and Martial. The frontline of United has scored 18 goals in the second half of the season and has averaged 3.85 goals per game.
Greenwood has been a standout performer in the second half of the season and has scored 9 goals in the premier league. Greenwood looks more of a direct winger and most of his goals have come from his moments of brilliance. Since the restart, Rashford has been playing out wide trying to add creativity upfront and looks rusty since his injury.
Going into the next season the Red Devils would look much stronger if they can add Jadon Sancho to their squad. Sancho is more of a prolific winger who can stretch the opposition line and has the hunger for goals and assists. The signing of Sancho would mean that Greenwood will become a backup right-winger. According to Fabrizio Romano Sancho has agreed personal terms with United for a 5 year contract but the fee remains to be the problem for the Red Devils as Dortmund are not willing to lower down the valuation of Sancho.
United would look like a team that might recede the gap between the top sides in the premier league if the club pull of the signings. According to me, this would bring a lot of pressure on Ole’s shoulders and these signings would mean that United will be hoping to bridge the gap between cross-town rivals Manchester City, and Liverpool. After finally breaking into the top 4 Solskjaer needs to be backed up so that United could finally complete their process of rebuild and secure trophies.
- Ranking Every Single Track On The Weeknd’s Dawn FMAfter a humongous album rollout in 2020 for ‘After Hours’, the Weeknd has finally unveiled his new album, Dawn FM.
- 3 Big Questions From The Season Premier Of EuphoriaSmeared in rave glitter and under neon limits, Euphoria returned with season 2 and despite the long wait, some things haven’t changed.
- Euphoria Is Back, And Here’s Why You Should Be ExcitedThe show liked by critics and fans alike, Euphoria is returning to the small screen tomorrow and we are pumped.
- He Who Controls The Spice: Breaking Down Episode 2 Of The Book Of Boba FettIf you were dissatisfied by how tight, and compact last weeks season premier was, this puppy comes in at a much chunkier 53 minutes. And yet, breezy and joyful is how I would describe “The Tribes Of Tatooine”.
- #DreamTeen: The Present And Future of FC Barcelona#DreamTeen is a reflection on the mission of President Joan Laporta to bring glory to FC Barcelona with homegrown talents while playing beautiful football; the kind of football that can earn you a standing ovation at the Santiago Bernabeu